CEH: Certified Ethical Hacker
"To beat a hacker, you need to think like one!" EC-Council
Certified Ethical Hackers use the knowledge and tools of malicious attackers to uncover vulnerabilities in an organization's computer systems. Upon assessing the target system's security posture, a CEH performs the indicated preventive, corrective and protective measures to safeguard the system before an actual breach can occur. CEH certification is vendor-neutral, so certified ethical hackers can protect a wide range of systems, regardless of make.
The CEH certificate is EC-Council's most popular and sought-after credential. Typical job titles for CEH-certified professionals include penetration tester, network security specialist, ethical hacker, security consultant, site administrator and auditor. Beyond the significant corporate job opportunities, becoming CEH certified opens the door to lucrative security positions in the government IT sector, as the CEH is endorsed and used by the National Security Agency (NSA), the Committee on National Security Systems (CNSS) and the Department of Defense (DoD) as a benchmark to clear personnel and contractors with privileged access to sensitive information.
These top-rated online courses and degrees in cybersecurity are currently enrolling students.
Featured Cybersecurity Programs:
Universities, colleges and private computer schools offer courses and degrees featuring CEH certification prep and training programs that align with EC-Council's Certified Ethical Hacker curriculum. Compare some of the top-rated CEH training programs in the U.S. and online below.
Skills Measured by the Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
Here are some of the key skills and knowledge areas covered in the CEH exam. Certified Ethical Hackers...
- possess a strong background knowledge of networking, telecommunications, web and computer systems.
- understand the current security protocols for popular operating environments, e.g., Linux, Windows & Mac OS.
- "hack" into an organization's network/systems - with its permission - to assess weaknesses and vulnerabilities.
- undertake preventive, corrective and protective countermeasures to safeguard systems against malicious attack.
- have the ability to identify and crack multiple types of passwords, and effectively counter password attacks.
- comprehend the terminology, stages, classes, phases and methodologies of ethical hacking.
- can cover their tracks and erase digital evidence of networks and system intrusions.
- understand cryptography & encryption techniques, and private/public key infrastructure.
- adhere to a code of ethics governing professional conduct & the appropriateness of hacking.
- understand common cyber attacks, e.g., social engineering, phishing, identity theft, URL obfuscation, trojans, dumpster diving, insider attacks, etc., and can undertake the appropriate evasion techniques and countermeasures.
Download the CEH Certification Exam Blueprint for a complete list of Certified Ethical Hacker exam objectives.
Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
- CEH: Certified Ethical Hacker | Exam code 312-50
|Certified Ethical Hacker Exam Objectives (312-50)|
CEH Exam Type: Computer based, Multiple choice format
CEH Time Limit: 4 hours (240 minutes)
CEH Exam Length: 125 questions
CEH Exam Cost: $500 USD
Passing Score: 70%
Certified Ethical Hacker Eligibility Requirements
There are two ways to satisfy the CEH certification exam eligibility requirements:
- Attend Official CEH Training: This can be in any format, e.g., instructor-led training, computer-based training (CBT) or live online training, as long as the program is approved by EC-Council.
- Attempt without Official Training: In order to be considered for the EC-Council certification exam without attending official training, you must:
- Have two or more years of documented information security experience
- Remit a non-refundable eligibility application fee of $100.00
- Submit completed CEH Exam Eligibility Form including verification from employer
- Upon approval EC-Council will email you a voucher number to register for the CEH exam
If you go decide to go the unofficial route, you can choose from a wide range of network security courses and degrees that align with CEH and other marketable InfoSec certifications.
Certified Ethical Hacker Training
Browse the top-rated training programs and accredited degrees matching the Certified Ethical Hacker certification and related career tracks.
Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity
- Includes Certification Preparation for:
- CompTIA A+, Network+ & Security+
- TestOut Network Pro, Security Pro & Pro PC
- Gain the Skills and Credentials to Pursue Jobs in Cyber Security
- Information Security Tools and Techniques
- Design, Build & Manage Secure IT Networks
- Cyber Security Policy and Risk Management
- IT Service and Process Management
Master of Science in Network Defense
- Includes Certification Preparation for:
- EC-Council Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) & Certified Network Defense Architect (CNDA)
- (ISC)2 Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- Assess, Develop and Implement Cyber Security Solutions & Infrastructure
- Advanced Training in Ethical Hacking, Penetration Testing & System Hardening
- National Security Agency (NSA) & Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Approved
Certified Ethical Hacker Salary
Average salaries for Certified Ethical Hackers and other EC-Council certified professionals:
- LPT: Licensed Penetration Tester: $86,000
- CHFI: Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator: $88,000
- CEH: Certified Ethical Hacker: $90,000
- ENSA: Network Security Administrator: $92,000
- ECSA: Certified Security Analyst: $92,000
Salary by EC-Council Certification (USA)
Certified Ethical Hacker Jobs
CEH certified professionals may qualify for a range of lucrative security positions including:
- Network Security Jobs: Find network security job openings
- Penetration Tester: Find penetration testing jobs
- IT Auditor Positions: Find information systems auditor jobs
- Security Engineer: Find IT security engineering jobs
- Homeland Security Jobs: Find jobs in homeland security
- CompTIA - Security+
- CompTIA - Network+
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
- (ISC)2 - Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- ISACA - Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- EC-Council - Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator (CHFI)
- Cisco Certified Network Associate - Security (CCNA - Security)
- Check Point Certified Security Administrator (CCSA)
- Check Point Certified Security Expert (CCSE)
- GIAC - Certified Intrusion Analyst (GCIA)