Mobile Application Developer
Featured Course: Bachelor of Science in Mobile Development (Full Sail) | Highlights: Android & iOS Application Development, Java & Objective-C Programming, UI/UX Design, Mobile App Distribution... PROGRAM DETAILS
Mobile Application Developers create software for mobile devices.
The latest mobile devices and applications are changing the way we communicate, do business, and access news and entertainment. Businesses, consumers and programmers have embraced this innovative medium, making mobile application developer one of the most demanded and fastest growing IT career paths.
Mobile developers write programs inside of a mobile development environment using the Objective C, C++, C# or Java programming languages. A mobile app developer chooses the operating system (a.k.a. mobile platform) they will develop for, such as Google's Android or Apple's iOS, then learns the programming languages and software development environment for that platform.
Currently, there are 5 major mobile platforms, each with its own core language(s) and development environment:
|Mobile Platform||Core Language(s)||Dev. Environment||Mobile Devices|
|Android||Java & Kotlin||Eclipse||Multiple Vendors|
|iOS (Apple)||Objective-C & Swift||Xcode||Apple Devices Only|
|RIM (Blackberry)||Java||Eclipse||Blackberry Only|
|Symbian||C++||Multiple choices||Multiple Vendors|
|Windows Mobile||C#||Microsoft Visual Studio||Multiple Vendors|
Businesses typically develop mobile applications for multiple platforms at once, to maximize market penetration and return on investment - so the more mobile development platforms you learn and master, the more sought-after you become as a professional mobile application developer. As you can see from the graph link above, Android & iOS dominate the market (combining for over 99% of U.S. market share), making these platforms the ideal place to focus your mobile application development education.
There are numerous mobile application developer training programs and accredited degrees that feature coursework in mobile application programming, mobile media design, app deployment & marketing for the leading mobile platforms. Compare the top-rated mobile development training programs in the U.S. and online.
a.k.a. Mobile App Designer | Android Developer | iPhone Developer | BlackBerry Developer | Mobile Software Engineer
Mobile Application Developer Salaries
Mobile Developer Education Requirements
Mobile Application Developer Training
Mobile Application Developer Certifications
Mobile Application Developer Jobs
Mobile Developer Job Outlook
Related IT Career Paths
Mobile Application Developer Skills & Responsibilities
Typical day-to-day duties and in-demand skill sets for mobile application developers include:
- Mobile developers are fluent in object-oriented programming languages such as Java, Objective-C and C++.
- Mobile application developers code, test, debug, monitor and document changes for mobile applications.
- Mobile devs are skilled in the leading cross-platform development tools, such as Xamarin, Flutter & React Native.
- Mobile app developers can implement application programming interfaces (APIs) to support mobile functionality.
- Mobile application developers know the terminology, concepts, and best practices for coding mobile applications.
- Mobile application developers migrate and adapt existing web applications to the leading mobile platforms.
- In-house mobile developers work closely with other departments to brainstorm and optimize deployments.
- Mobile application developers recommend changes and enhancements to existing mobile applications.
Mobile Application Developer Salary
- Mobile Application Developer average annual salary (USA): $107,000
Average salaries for mobile application developers and related positions:
- Java Application Developer: $101,000
- Mobile Software Engineer: $102,000
- iOS Software Engineer: $102,000
- Mobile Application Developer: $107,000
- iOS Application Developer: $113,000
- Android Application Developer: $117,000
- Lead Java Developer: $117,000
- Senior Mobile App Developer: $119,000
The hourly wage for mobile application developers varies widely - from $21 to $150 per hour - depending on the mobile developer's location, portfolio, proficiency and known platforms.Source: Indeed.com
Mobile Application Developer Education Requirements
Most employers seek mobile application developers with at least a bachelor's degree in software engineering, mobile application development, mobile computing, computer science or a similar programming-centric field of study. Hiring managers for mobile development positions will also want to see a portfolio with samples of completed mobile applications and your best development projects. The following undergrad and graduate degree programs satisfy both of these requirements with hands-on courses wherein students create a range of applications for the leading mobile platforms, plus specialized lessons on presenting yourself as a top candidate for mobile developer positions, in which active mobile development practitioners help you assemble the apps created throughout the program into an industry-specific portfolio, resume and cover letter.
Research and compare the top-rated mobile application developer training programs in the U.S. and online.
Mobile Application Developer Training
Browse the top-rated undergrad & graduate degrees, professional certificates, self-paced courses and online training programs matching the mobile application developer education requirements and career path.
Mobile App Dev Training
Course Highlights & Certifications
Mobile Development Certifications
There aren't many established mobile app development certifications on the market yet, however as this space continues to grow we will see an influx of both platform-specific and platform-neutral credentials. Currently, the most marketable certifications for mobile application developers include:
- Google Associate Android Developer
- ATC Android Certified Application Developer
- IBM Certified Mobile Application Developer
- Mobile Development Institute Certified Developer (MDICD)
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer (MCSD): App Builder
- Logical Operations' Master Mobile Application Developer (MMAD)
- Oracle Certified Professional (OCP): Java ME Mobile Application Developer
*formerly Sun Certified Mobile Application Developer (SCMAD)
This list will continue to be refreshed as new mobile development certifications arrive on the scene.
Mobile Application Developer Jobs
Your specialized experience and training in mobile application development & computer programming may qualify you for a variety of in-demand job roles including:
- Mobile Application Developer: Browse Mobile Developer Jobs
- Android Application Developer: Browse Android Developer Jobs
- iPhone/iOS Application Developer: Browse iPhone Developer Jobs
- Windows Mobile App Developer: Browse Windows Mobile Developer Jobs
- Software Engineer: Browse Software Engineer Jobs
- Java Application Developer: Browse Java Application Developer Jobs
- Objective-C Developer: Browse Objective-C Developer Job Openings
Mobile App Developer Job Outlook
The mobile device market is growing at breakneck speeds. Some experts even compare the mobile movement of the 2010's to the Internet explosion of the mid 1990's. This growth is feeding the increased demand for mobile application developers. As smartphones and tablets change the way people communicate, do business, shop, and access news & entertainment, the demand for new and innovative mobile applications will continue to rise as mobile devices become more capable, and an increasing number of traditional businesses develop apps to promote their products and services. The rapid growth of mobile is creating a host of employment opportunities for both corporate and freelance mobile application developers.
According to hiring managers and IT recruiters, the demand for skilled & talented mobile application developers still far exceeds the supply. Some of the most popular industries hiring mobile app developers include video game studios, advertising and marketing firms that aim to build branded application for clients, media firms that recognize mobile as a powerful content distribution channel, government agencies and financial institutions that want to bring their core services to mobile users, software development firms and real estate agencies.
The job market for mobile application developers is expected to skyrocket by 26% from 2018 through 2028, creating over 241,000 new positions and heralding one of the decade's largest increases for any occupation (IT or otherwise). The lion's share of job opportunities will be in Android and iOS app development, as these giants represent over 90% of all mobile devices used in the U.S.
Sources: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics' Occupational Outlook Handbook | StatCounter.com
- Software Engineer
- Web Developer
- Computer Programmer
- Graphic Designer
- Video Game Designer
- Database Administrator