Featured Course: AAS - IT: Programming and Software Development (Purdue) | Highlights: Web & Mobile App Development Training, Java, Objective-C & HTML5 Programming, Graphic Design, UI/UX... COURSE DETAILS
Mobile Application Developers create software for mobile devices.
The latest mobile devices and applications are changing the way we communicate, do business, and access news and entertainment. Businesses, consumers and programmers have embraced this innovative medium, making mobile application developer one of the most demanded and fastest growing IT career paths.
Mobile developers write programs inside of a mobile development environment using the Objective C, C++, C# or Java programming languages. A mobile app developer chooses the operating system (a.k.a. mobile platform) they will develop for, such as Google's Android or Apple's iOS, then learns the programming languages and software development environment for that platform.
Currently, there are 5 major mobile platforms, each with its own core language(s) and development environment:
|Mobile Platform||Core Language(s)||Dev. Environment||Mobile Devices|
|iOS (Apple)||Objective-C & Swift||Xcode||Apple Devices Only|
|RIM (Blackberry)||Java||Eclipse||Blackberry Only|
|Symbian||C++||Multiple choices||Multiple Vendors|
|Windows Mobile||C#||Visual Studio 2010||Multiple Vendors|
Businesses typically develop mobile applications for multiple platforms at once, to maximize market penetration and return on investment - so the more mobile development platforms you learn and master, the more sought-after you become as a professional mobile application developer. As you can see from the graph link above, Android & iOS dominate the market (combining for over 90% of U.S. market share), making these platforms the ideal place to focus your mobile application development education.
There are numerous mobile application developer training programs and accredited degrees that feature coursework in mobile application programming, mobile media design, app deployment & marketing for the leading mobile platforms. Compare the top-rated mobile development training programs in the U.S., Canada and online.
a.k.a. Mobile App Designer | Android Developer | iPhone Developer | BlackBerry Developer | Mobile Software Engineer
Mobile Application Developer Salaries
Mobile Developer Education Requirements
Mobile Application Developer Training
Find Mobile App Dev Courses by Zip Code
Mobile Application Developer Certifications
Mobile Application Developer Jobs
Mobile Developer Job Outlook
Related IT Career Paths
Mobile Application Developer Skills & Responsibilities
Typical day-to-day duties and in-demand skill sets for mobile application developers include:
- Mobile developers are fluent in object-oriented programming languages such as Java, Objective-C and C++.
- Mobile application developers code, test, debug, monitor and document changes for mobile applications.
- Mobile devs are skilled at working inside the development environments of one or more the top mobile OSes.
- Mobile app developers can implement application programming interfaces (APIs) to support mobile functionality.
- Mobile application developers know the terminology, concepts, and best practices for coding mobile applications.
- Mobile application developers migrate and adapt existing web applications to the leading mobile platforms.
- In-house mobile developers work closely with other departments to brainstorm and optimize deployments.
- Mobile application developers recommend changes and enhancements to existing mobile applications.
Mobile Application Developer Salary
- Mobile Application Developer average annual salary (USA): $94,000
Average salaries for mobile application developers and related positions:
- Blackberry App Developer: $89,000
- Software Engineer: $90,000
- Mobile Software Engineer: $94,000
- Mobile Application Developer: $94,000
- iPhone Application Developer: $95,000
- iPad Application Developer: $95,000
- Java Application Developer: $96,000
- Android Application Developer: $97,000
- iOS Software Engineer: $102,000
- Senior iPhone Developer: $105,000
- Senior Android Developer: $107,000
- Lead Java Developer: $110,000
- Senior Mobile Developer: $111,000
The hourly wage for mobile application developers varies widely - from $21 to $150 per hour - depending on the mobile developer's location, portfolio, proficiency and known platforms.Source: Indeed.com
Mobile Application Developer Education Requirements
Most employers seek mobile application developers with at least a bachelor's degree in software engineering, mobile application development, mobile computing, computer science or a similar programming-centric field of study. Hiring managers for mobile development positions will also want to see a portfolio with samples of completed mobile applications and your best development projects. The following undergrad and graduate degree programs satisfy both of these requirements with hands-on courses wherein students create a range of applications for the leading mobile platforms, plus specialized lessons on presenting yourself as a top candidate for mobile developer positions, in which active mobile development practitioners help you assemble the apps created throughout the program into an industry-specific portfolio, resume and cover letter.
Research and compare the top-rated mobile application developer training programs in the U.S., Canada and online.
Mobile Application Developer Training
Browse the top-rated undergrad & graduate degrees, professional certificates, self-paced courses and online training programs matching the mobile application developer education requirements and career path.
Mobile App Dev Training
Course Highlights & Certifications
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
Find Mobile Development Schools
Mobile Development Certifications
There aren't many mobile application development certifications on the market yet, however as the job space continues to grow we will see an influx of both vendor-specific and vendor-neutral mobile development credentials. Current certifications for mobile application developers include:
- ATC Android Certified Application Developer
- IBM Certified Mobile Application Developer – Worklight V6.0
- SAP Certified Development Associate – SAP Sybase Unwired Platform 2.1 Mobile Application Developer
- Mobile Development Institute Certified Developer (MDICD)
- Logical Operations' Master Mobile Application Developer (MMAD)
- Oracle Certified Professional (OCP): Java ME Mobile Application Developer
*formerly Sun Certified Mobile Application Developer (SCMAD)
- Microsoft's MTA: Mobile Development Fundamentals
*Retired on 7/31/14 - not replaced
- BlackBerry Certified Application Developer
*Retired on 10/30/11- not replaced
This list will continue to be refreshed as new mobile development certifications arrive on the scene.
Latest update: July 2017
Mobile Application Developer Jobs
Your specialized experience and training in mobile application development & computer programming may qualify you for a variety of in-demand job roles including:
- Mobile Application Developer: Browse Mobile Developer Jobs
- Android Application Developer: Browse Android Developer Jobs
- iPhone/iOS Application Developer: Browse iPhone Developer Jobs
- Windows Mobile App Developer: Browse Windows Mobile Developer Jobs
- Software Engineer: Browse Software Engineer Jobs
- Java Application Developer: Browse Java Application Developer Jobs
- Objective-C Developer: Browse Objective-C Developer Job Openings
Mobile App Developer Job Outlook
The mobile device market is growing at breakneck speeds. Some experts even compare the mobile movement of the 2010's to the Internet explosion of the mid 1990's. This growth is feeding the increased demand for mobile application developers. As smartphones and tablets change the way people communicate, do business, shop, and access news & entertainment, the demand for new and innovative mobile applications will continue to rise as mobile devices become more capable, and an increasing number of traditional businesses develop apps to promote their products and services. The rapid growth of mobile is creating a host of employment opportunities for both corporate and freelance mobile application developers.
According to hiring managers and IT recruiters, the demand for skilled & talented mobile application developers still far exceeds the supply. Some of the most popular industries hiring mobile app developers include video game studios, advertising and marketing firms that aim to build branded application for clients, media firms that recognize mobile as a powerful content distribution channel, government agencies and financial institutions that want to bring their core services to mobile users, software development firms and real estate agencies.
The job market for mobile application developers is expected to skyrocket by 19% from 2014 through 2024, creating over 135,000 new positions and heralding one of the decade's largest increases for any occupation (IT or otherwise). The lion's share of job opportunities will be in Android and iOS app development, as these giants represent over 90% of all mobile devices used in the U.S.
Sources: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics' 2016-2017 Occupational Outlook Handbook | StatCounter.com
- Software Engineer
- Web Developer
- Computer Programmer
- Graphic Designer
- Video Game Designer
- Database Administrator