Explore CompTIA's Security+ certification, including skills measured, exam details, costs, training programs, jobs & salaries.
CompTIA Security+ demonstrates foundational knowledge in cybersecurity. It validates an IT security professional's skills in threat mitigation and response, security architecture, compliance and risk management, and security operations.
Security threats are increasing exponentially in number and severity, and the skills gap between information security jobs and qualified IT security personnel is one of the largest of any technical specialty. Add to this the fact that numerous studies and salary surveys have proven that even in a troubled economy, most businesses plan to maintain or increase their spending on cybersecurity personnel, and it's no wonder that Security+ is one of CompTIA's most sought-after certifications.
Skills Measured by Security+ Certification
Passing the CompTIA Security+ certification exam validates your ability to:
- explain the security functions of common network devices and technologies
- apply and implement secure network administration principles & procedures
- implement and configure a wireless network in a safe and secure manner
- identify security threats and perform risk mitigation activities
- understand applicable policies, laws, and regulations of IT security
- explain the impacts and proper use of environmental controls
- understand and apply cryptography and Public Key Infrastructure (PKI)
- explain the concepts of user authentication, authorization & access control
- exemplify the concepts of data Confidentiality, Integrity & Availability - a.k.a. "CIA Triad"
- identify and analyze common attacks, e.g., social engineering, malware, application & wireless attacks
Download the CompTIA Security+ Exam Objectives for a more detailed curriculum.
CompTIA Security+ Certification Exams
You must pass one exam to become Security+ certified:
- Security+ (Exam # SY0-601) - View Exam Objectives
Security+ Time Limit: 90 minutes
Security+ Length: 90 questions max
Security+ Exam Cost: $392
Passing Grade: 750 out of 900
CompTIA Security+ Certification Prerequisites
- Required: No required prerequisites for Security+ certification
- Recommended: CompTIA Network+ Certification and two years of technical networking experience with an emphasis on security or equivalent knowledge are recommended.
Browse the top-rated undergrad & graduate degree programs, professional certificates, and self-paced online training courses matching the CompTIA Security+ Certification and related career tracks.
- A+, Network+ & Security+ Cert Prep
- Network Design and Administration
- IT Network and Application Security
- Incident Response and Investigation
- CompTIA Security+ Certification Prep
- Learn Cisco, Microsoft & Linux Platforms
- Microsoft Azure and AWS Cloud Skills
- Info Assurance and Network Security
CompTIA Security+ Certification Jobs
Security+ certification helps prepare you for a variety of IT security job roles, including:
- Network Security Specialist: Browse Network Security Jobs
- Information Security Analyst: Browse IT Security Analyst jobs
- Cyber Security Consultant: Browse IT Security Consultant Jobs
- IT Risk Analyst: Browse Info Tech Risk Analysis Jobs
- Homeland Security Jobs: Browse Jobs in Homeland Security
Security+ Certification Salary
Average annual wage for Security+ certified professionals and other CompTIA certification holders:
- CompTIA A+: $59,000
- CompTIA Server+: $63,000
- CompTIA Network+: $63,000
- CompTIA Project+: $67,000
- CompTIA Linux+: $70,000
- CompTIA Security+: $72,000
- CompTIA CTT+: $74,000
- CompTIA Cloud+: $74,000
- CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP): $84,000
Security+ Certification Cost
The exam voucher to take the CompTIA Security+ certification exam costs $392.
Security+ skills training and exam prep will increase the price of getting certified. The cost of Security+ certification training can range from less-expensive programs like these Security+ bootcamps to more costly online information security degrees with deep cybersecurity and IT curriculum.
- CompTIA A+ Certification
- CompTIA Network+ Certification
- Cisco CyberOps Associate Certification
- EC-Council Certified Ethical Hacker
- (ISC)2 CISSP Certification
- ISACA Certifications
- Google Cybersecurity Certificate
- IBM Cybersecurity Analyst Certificate