CompTIA A+ certification demonstrates competence as an entry-level IT Technician.
CompTIA A+ certification validates entry-level skills in today's essential IT domains, including computer repair, software & operating systems, network administration, information security, cloud computing, and troubleshooting of both desktops and mobile devices. A+ certified technicians also learn customer service & communication skills in order to effectively interact with technical and non-technical employees.
CompTIA A+ certification is an ideal starting point in the learning plan of a new IT professional because:
- The A+ certification exam demands no prerequisites.
- A+ certification introduces candidates to the essential IT domains.
- A+ certification is globally recognized as the mark of a skilled entry-level technician.
- A+ certification is a mandatory hiring requirement for a variety of entry-level tech jobs.
- A+ certification is a requirement or elective in the advanced certification paths of leading technology vendors, including Microsoft, Cisco, Novell, HP, and IBM.
There are numerous accredited degrees and professional certificates featuring A+ exam prep and related coursework. Research and compare A+ training programs and A+ bootcamps in the U.S. and online.
Skills Measured by CompTIA A+ Certification
Here are the key skills and knowledge areas measured by the A+ certification exam. A+ certified professionals:
- understand the basics of computer and mobile device hardware, software, networking and security.
- can identify PC hardware, peripherals and network components in a business environment.
- know how to configure and support mobile devices, PCs & Internet of Things (IoT) devices.
- can categorize and explain multiple types of data storage devices and backup media.
- can describe in detail the types and features of motherboard components.
- know how to follow proper computer safety procedures and best practices.
- have interpersonal communication skills to better interact with peers and customers.
- can setup and manage popular operating systems inc. Windows, iOS, Android, Mac OS and Linux.
- can install and configure input devices, e.g., keyboards, mice, bio-metric scanners and touch screens.
- can implement a variety of troubleshooting techniques to fix system errors and connectivity issues.
View the CompTIA A Plus Exam Objectives below for a more thorough curriculum.
CompTIA A+ Certification Exams
You must pass two exams to become A+ certified. The current A+ exam versions are 220-1101 and 220-1102:
- A+ 220-1101 (Core 1) - View Exam Objectives
- A+ 220-1102 (Core 2) - View Exam Objectives
A+ Exam Format: Multiple choice, Drag & drops, and Performance-based questions
A+ Exam Duration: The time-limit for each A+ certification exam is 90 minutes.
# of Questions: Exams 220-1101 and 220-1102 contain a maximum of 90 questions each.
A+ Exam Cost: A+ test vouchers cost $246 USD per examination.
Passing Grade: 675 out of 900 for A+ Core 1 | 700 out of 900 for A+ Core 2
The life-cycle of CompTIA A+ exams usually lasts around 3 years from launch. Here are the [past and upcoming] retirement dates of recent A+ certification exams:
- A+ Core 1 Exam (220-1001) and A+ Core 2 Exam (220-1002) | Retirement date: October 2022
- A+ Essentials (220-901) and A+ Practical Exam (220-902) | Retirement date: July 2019
- A+ Essentials (220-801) and A+ Practical Exam (220-802) | Retirement date: June 2016
- A+ Essentials (220-701) and A+ Practical Exam (220-702) | Retirement date: August 2013
CompTIA A+ Certification Prerequisites
- Required: No mandatory prerequisites for A+ certification exam
- Recommended: No recommended prerequisites for A+ certification exam
A+ Certification Training & Degrees
Browse the top-rated undergrad & graduate degree programs, professional certificates, and self-paced online courses matching the CompTIA A+ Certification and related career tracks.
Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity
- Includes Certification Preparation for:
- CompTIA A+, Network+ & Security+
- TestOut Network Pro, Security Pro & Pro PC
- Gain the Skills and Credentials to Pursue Jobs in Cyber Security and Network Management
- Information Security Tools and Techniques
- Design, Build & Manage Secure IT Networks
- Cyber Security Policy and Risk Management
- IT Service and Process Management
Bachelor of Science in Network Technology: Cisco
- Includes Certification Preparation for:
- CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Project+ & Linux+
- Cisco CCNA Routing and Switching
- Design & Manage Cisco Wired / Wireless Networks
- Network Security Threats & Countermeasures
- Install and Support Telecommunications Systems
- IT Project and Process Management Training
- Explore Hot IT Topics inc. RFID Architectures, Enterprise Mobility & Cloud Computing
Master's in Technology Management
- Prepare for Leadership Roles in Business and Information Technology
- Business Intelligence and Data Analytics
- Cyber Security Threats & Countermeasures
- Cloud Computing and Virtual Data Centers
- Globalization and the Modern IT Workforce
- Computer Systems Analysis Tools & Techniques
- Wield Emerging Technologies and IT Personnel to Achieve Business Goals
- No GRE or GMAT Required for Admission
CompTIA A+ Certification Jobs
A+ certification qualifies you for a variety of IT job roles including:
- IT Support Specialist: Browse Technical Support Specialist Jobs
- Help Desk Technician: Browse Help Desk Technician Jobs
- Desktop Support Technician: Browse Desktop Support Jobs
- PC and Hardware Repair: Browse Computer Repair Jobs
- More Jobs for CompTIA Certified Pros: Browse CompTIA Jobs
A+ Certification Salary
Average salary for A+ certified professionals and other CompTIA certification holders:
- CompTIA A+ salary: $59,000
- CompTIA Server+: $63,000
- CompTIA Network+: $63,000
- CompTIA Project+: $67,000
- CompTIA Linux+: $70,000
- CompTIA Security+: $72,000
- CompTIA CTT+: $74,000
- CompTIA Cloud+: $74,000
- CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP): $84,000
A+ Certification Cost
The cost of a CompTIA A+ certification exam voucher is $246. You must pass two exams to get A+ certified -- 220-1101 (Core 1) and 220-1102 (Core 2) -- so the total cost of A+ certification exams is $492.
If you need training to pass the A+ exams, that will cost more. The cost of A+ certification training can range from cheap digital courses like the Google IT Support Pro Certificate from Coursera, to more expensive online certificates and degrees that cover other skills and technologies in addition A+ cert prep.
A+ Certification FAQs
Here we address some frequently asked questions from prospective A+ certified professionals.
Is A+ Certification Worth It?
Yes, earning your A+ certification is definitely worth it. For a relatively low cost and time commitment, the A+ certificate covers the skills and platforms you need to begin a range of IT careers. A+ is recognized by employers worldwide, and is a great stepping off point to other marketable CompTIA certs, such as Network+ and Security+.
What Jobs Can I Get with A+ Certification?
CompTIA’s A+ certification can help you get numerous jobs including help desk technician, IT security specialist, network administrator, and health information technician.
Research IT credentials closely related to CompTIA's A+ certification.