CompTIA A+ certification demonstrates competence as an entry-level IT Technician.
CompTIA A+ certification validates entry-level skills in today's essential IT domains, including computer repair, software & operating systems, network administration, information security, cloud computing, and troubleshooting of both desktops and mobile devices. A+ certified technicians also learn customer service & communication skills in order to effectively interact with technical and non-technical employees.
CompTIA A+ certification is an ideal starting point in the learning plan of a new IT professional because:
- The A+ certification exam demands no prerequisites.
- A+ certification introduces candidates to the essential IT domains.
- A+ certification is globally recognized as the mark of a skilled entry-level technician.
- A+ certification is a mandatory hiring requirement for a variety of entry-level tech jobs.
- A+ certification is a requirement or elective in the advanced certification paths of leading technology vendors, including Microsoft, Cisco, Novell, HP, and IBM.
These top-rated online courses and degrees are currently enrolling students.
- Information Technology Fundamentals
- Network and Systems Administration
- End-to-End Customer Support Training
- Basic IT Security Tools & Techniques
There are numerous accredited degrees, professional certificates and self-paced online training programs featuring A+ certification exam prep and related coursework. Research and compare A+ training programs in the U.S. and online below.
Skills Measured by CompTIA A+ Certification
Here are the key skills and knowledge areas measured by the A+ certification exam. A+ certified professionals:
- understand the basics of computer and mobile device hardware, software, networking and security.
- can identify PC hardware, peripherals and network components in a business environment.
- know how to configure and support mobile devices, PCs & Internet of Things (IoT) devices.
- can categorize and explain multiple types of data storage devices and backup media.
- can describe in detail the types and features of motherboard components.
- know how to follow proper computer safety procedures and best practices.
- have interpersonal communication skills to better interact with peers and customers.
- can setup and manage popular operating systems inc. Windows, iOS, Android, Mac OS and Linux.
- can install and configure input devices, e.g., keyboards, mice, bio-metric scanners and touch screens.
- can implement a variety of troubleshooting techniques to fix system errors and connectivity issues.
Download the CompTIA A Plus Exam Objectives below for a more thorough curriculum.
CompTIA A+ Certification Exams
You must pass two exams to become A+ certified. The current A+ exam versions were launched in January 2019:
- CompTIA A+ Essentials - Exam # 220-1001
- CompTIA A+ Practical Application - Exam # 220-1002
|CompTIA A+ Essentials Exam Objectives | 220-1001|
|CompTIA A+ Practical Application Exam Objectives | 220-1002|
A+ Exam Format: Multiple choice, Drag & drops, and Performance-based questions
Duration: The time-limit for each A+ exam is 90 minutes.
Length: Exams 220-1001 and 220-1002 contain a maximum of 90 questions each.
Exam Cost: A+ test vouchers cost $226 USD per exam.
Passing Grade: 675 out of 900 for A+ Essentials | 700 out of 900 for the Practical Application
The life-cycle of CompTIA A+ exams usually lasts around 3 years from launch. Here are the [past and upcoming] retirement dates of recent A+ certification exams:
- A+ Essentials (220-701) and A+ Practical Exam (220-702) | Retirement date: August 2013
- A+ Essentials (220-801) and A+ Practical Exam (220-802) | Retirement date: June 2016
- A+ Essentials (220-901) and A+ Practical Exam (220-902) | Retirement date: July 2019
CompTIA A+ Certification Prerequisites
- Required: No required prerequisites for A+ certification exam
- Recommended: No recommended prerequisites for A+ certification exam
A+ Certification Training & Degrees
Browse the top-rated undergrad & graduate degree programs, professional certificates, and self-paced online courses matching the CompTIA A+ Certification and related career tracks.
Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity
- Includes Certification Preparation for:
- CompTIA A+, Network+ & Security+
- TestOut Network Pro, Security Pro & Pro PC
- Gain the Skills and Credentials to Pursue Jobs in Cyber Security and Network Management
- Information Security Tools and Techniques
- Design, Build & Manage Secure IT Networks
- Cyber Security Policy and Risk Management
- IT Service and Process Management
Bachelor of Science in Network Technology: Cisco
- Includes Certification Preparation for:
- CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Project+ & Linux+
- Cisco CCNA Routing and Switching
- Design & Manage Cisco Wired / Wireless Networks
- Network Security Threats & Countermeasures
- Install and Support Telecommunications Systems
- IT Project and Process Management Training
- Explore Hot IT Topics inc. RFID Architectures, Enterprise Mobility & Cloud Computing
Master's in Technology Management
- Prepare for Leadership Roles in Business and Information Technology
- Business Intelligence and Data Analytics
- Cyber Security Threats & Countermeasures
- Cloud Computing and Virtual Data Centers
- Globalization and the Modern IT Workforce
- Computer Systems Analysis Tools & Techniques
- Wield Emerging Technologies and IT Personnel to Achieve Business Goals
- No GRE or GMAT Required for Admission
CompTIA A+ Certification Jobs
A+ certification qualifies you for a variety of IT job roles including:
- IT Support Specialist: Browse Technical Support Specialist Jobs
- Help Desk Technician: Browse Help Desk Technician Jobs
- Desktop Support Technician: Browse Desktop Support Jobs
- PC and Hardware Repair: Browse Computer Repair Jobs
- More Jobs for CompTIA Certified Pros: Browse CompTIA Jobs
A+ Certification Salary
Average salary for A+ certified professionals and other CompTIA certification holders:
- CompTIA A+ salary: $59,000
- CompTIA Server+: $63,000
- CompTIA Network+: $63,000
- CompTIA Project+: $67,000
- CompTIA Linux+: $70,000
- CompTIA Security+: $72,000
- CompTIA CTT+: $74,000
- CompTIA Cloud+: $74,000
- CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP): $84,000
A+ Related Certifications
Research IT credentials closely related to CompTIA's A+ certification.
- CompTIA Network+ Certification
- CompTIA Security+ Certification
- Cisco CCNA Certification
- Google IT Support Certificate
- Microsoft Certifications
A+ Certification Careers
Compare popular IT career paths that align with A+ certification.