Mobile Development Degrees & Courses
Accredited schools now offer a range of undergraduate and graduate degree programs that feature coursework in mobile application development. Skip ahead to compare programs or read on for tips on how to choose the best mobile development course or degree for you.
These top-rated online training programs in mobile app development are currently enrolling students.
Southern New Hampshire University
- Cross-Platform App Development
- Cybersecurity & Secure Coding
- UI/UX Design and Development
- Software Reverse Engineering
This page will explore the most important considerations when choosing a mobile development training program, including:
- mobile app development classes and skills you should look for in a degree program curriculum
- comparison of mobile development degree levels with data like cost, duration & requirements
- potential career paths and salaries you can earn at each level of mobile development degree
- frequently asked questions from prospective students in mobile development training programs
Popular Mobile Development Classes
The skills and platforms you will learn in mobile development courses are paramount when building a learning plan. Here are the key hard skills and soft skills that employers demand, and which you should seek out in a mobile development training program.
Hard skills are the tools, techniques, and platforms you will use in the field on a regular basis. Hard skills to look for in a mobile development degree program include:
- Apple iOS & Google Android application development - These two platforms account for over 99% of mobile operating systems in the US so this is where the jobs are. iOS has the edge in America while Android leads globally.
- Native mobile development programming languages, i.e., code that's designed to work on each mobile platform; this means Java or Kotlin for Android, and Swift or Objective-C for iOS.
- Cross platform mobile development tools - these frameworks that are rapidly growing in popularity enable devs to build web and mobile apps for multiple platforms at once, hence the name “cross-platform.” Marketable cross-platform dev tools right now include React Native, Ionic, Flutter & Xamarin.
- Mobile media distribution and promotion - In a competitive field like mobile, it pays to have expertise in the business and marketing domains that help determine the commercial success of applications.
- User interface (UI) and user experience (UX) design - Knowing how and why users interact with mobile applications, and how to capitalize on these tendencies, is a vital skill set for mobile app developers.
- Graphic arts and creative design - Having strong design skills in the Adobe software suite and other popular design programs will make you more well-rounded and valuable to employers.
- Database expertise - Knowing how to design and manage information systems is key for mobile devs as many apps need to interact with information kept in relational databases.
Soft skills are character traits and communication skills that will benefit you in the job role. Soft skills to seek out in a mobile development degree program include:
- Creativity: Creativity is hard to learn, but it can be done. Aspiring mobile developers will benefit from creativity-boosting coursework in subjects like fine art and writing. Creativity is invaluable in a field like mobile development which is driven in large part by innovation.
- Problem Solving: Many problems, such as coding and platform conflicts, arise during the development of a mobile application - those who can think critically and solve these issues in a timely manner will be well positioned for success.
- Effective Communication: Being a good listener and speaker is vital in most roles, including mobile app development. Those who can distill and implement feedback from clients and colleagues, as well as confidently express his or her mind when the time comes are vital. Solid communication skills will also pay dividends in the mobile developer interview process.
- Teamwork: Mobile developers often function as part of a team that consists of designers, clients and project managers. App developers who work well with others, calling on traits like patience and open-mindedness, will be sought-after in this collaborative setting.
Top-Rated Mobile Development Degrees
These online degree programs best reflect the mobile application development skills and platforms that employers demand.
Bachelor of Science in Software Development
Capella University's IT bachelor's degree with software development minor delivers the skills and experience to create the mobile solutions that modern businesses want. Graduates of this online program will be prepared for jobs such as mobile application developer, user experience (UX) designer, software engineer and database developer.
- Cross-Platform App Development for Android & iOS
- User Interface (UI) and User Experience (UX) Design
- Advanced Database Development and Data Security
- Cloud-Based Software Application Development
- Manage Software Projects using Agile Tools & Techniques
BS Computer Science - Software Engineering
Students in this specialized computer science degree will use the latest software development tools, techniques and programming languages to create secure software systems and applications. Graduates of this online bachelor's will be prepared for job roles such as mobile application developer, software engineer and programmer analyst.
- User Interface/Experience (UI/UX) Design for Cloud-Based and Mobile Technologies
- Evaluate & Implement Emerging Systems Architectures to Achieve Business Goals
- Identify Software Vulnerabilities and Develop Secure Systems and Applications
- Use Reverse Engineering to Develop, Improve and Support Existing Software
Mobile Development Degree Levels
Degrees in mobile application development and related subjects come in a range of levels, such as associate, bachelor's, master's and doctorate. The mobile development degree level you pursue will depend on multiple factors, including your current education level, career goals, and the time and money you wish to allocate toward training.
Here are the most popular mobile development degree types along with the cost, duration, entry requirements, and jobs you can pursue with each:
Associate Degree in Mobile Development
Associate degrees in mobile development typically take 2 years to complete as a full-time student.
Common admission requirements for a mobile development associate program are a high school diploma or a passing grade on the GED.
The average net price (after financial aid) for a mobile development associate degree is $12,652, according to the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Jobs you can pursue with an associate degree in mobile application development include junior software developer, mobile application tester and computer programmer.
Bachelor's Degree in Mobile Development
Bachelor's programs in mobile development typically take four years to complete as a full-time student.
Admission requirements for a BS (bachelor of science) or BA (bachelor of arts) in mobile application development are a high school diploma or GED. Some mobile development bachelor's require certain scores on your high school transcripts or SATs - these academic performance requirements vary by school.
The average net price for a bachelor's degree in mobile app development is $24,653, according to the NCES.
Jobs you can pursue upon earning a mobile development bachelor’s degree include mobile application developer, software engineer, and user interface (UI) designer.
Master's Degree in Mobile Development
Most master’s degrees in mobile application development and related subjects can be completed within 2 years with a full course load.
Typical admission requirements for a MSc (master of science) or MFA (master of fine arts) in mobile development include having a bachelor’s degree in a related field of study and a minimum GPA requirement (usually a 3.0 out of 4.0 or greater) which varies by school. Some mobile development masters programs also require a strong score on the GRE or GMAT exams.
The average net price (after financial aid) for a mobile development master's degree is $25,219, according to the NCES.
Positions you can pursue with a master’s in mobile development include senior application developer, mobile developer team lead, and senior software engineer.
Doctoral Degree in Mobile Development
You won't find any doctoral degrees in mobile application development, however you can continue your education in this space with a DSc (doctor of science) or PhD (doctor of philosophy) in subjects like computer science and software engineering. A doctoral degree in one of these mobile-adjacent fields can typically be completed in 3 to 4 years for students with the required educational background - usually a bachelor’s and master's degree in a related field, as well as a high GPA and competitive GRE score.
There are usually 60 - 90 credits (beyond the master's degree) in a doctoral degree in fields related to mobile development, and the cost per credit typically ranges from $500 to $1000. This places the average cost of a mobile development doctorate degree from $30,000 to $90,000, before financial aid and scholarships are applied.
Potential career paths for graduates of a doctoral program in mobile application development include computer scientist, senior software architect, postsecondary educator, and software development manager.
Mobile Development Degree Programs
Compare undergraduate and graduate degrees in mobile application development and related subjects.
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science: Software Engineering
- Gain the Expertise to Pursue Sought-After Roles in Web and Mobile Application Development
- Full Stack Software Design and Engineering
- Build Systems Architectures to Meet Business Needs
- Design UIs for Embedded, Cloud & Mobile Systems
- Analyze and Design Data Structures & Algorithms
- Cybersecurity Tools & Techniques ft. Secure Coding
Bachelor of Science in Software Development
- Cross-Platform Application Development Training
- User Interface (UI) & User Experience (UX) Design
- Software Testing, Security and Quality Assurance
- Advanced Data Modeling and Database Development
- Manage Software Projects with Agile Best Practices
- Transfer Previous College Credit to Lower Tuition
Master's in Technology Management
- Prepare to Lead Personnel and Use Emerging Technologies to Achieve Organizational Goals
- Choose from courses such as:
- Business Intelligence and Data Analytics
- Cyber Security Threats & Vulnerabilities
- Managing Diverse Organizations in a Flat World
- Cloud Computing and Virtualization
- Cryptography & Network Security
- Computer Systems Analysis
- No GRE or GMAT Required for Admission
Frequently Asked Questions
IT and education insiders answer common questions from people considering a degree program in mobile app development.
What can you do with a mobile development degree?
Earning an undergraduate or graduate degree in mobile application development can unlock a range of career opportunities. Here are some popular jobs for graduates of degree programs in mobile development and related subjects, along with the typical education level and salary for each position.
|Job Title||Typical Education Level||Average Salary|
|Mobile Application Tester||Associate Degree||$67,000|
|Mobile Application Developer||Bachelor’s Degree||$116,000|
|Software Engineer||Bachelor’s Degree||$117,000|
|Software Development Manager||Bachelor’s or Master’s||$130,000|
|Senior Software Architect||Master’s Degree||$138,000|
Source for salary data: Indeed.com
What degree do you need for mobile development?
There is no across-the-board requisite degree for becoming a mobile developer, however most people in this role have at least a bachelor's degree in mobile development, software engineering, computer science or a related field. That said, you can gain the skills to become a mobile developer with a well-designed associate, bachelor’s or master’s degree, or even without a college education - providing you have the skills listed above and a strong portfolio of work. Your ideal mobile development degree level will depend on your existing skill set, career goals, current level of education, preferred learning style, schedule and budget. Whichever route you choose, having a relevant degree will definitely increase your mobile developer job prospects.
How long does it take to finish a mobile development degree?
The duration of a college degree in mobile app development depends on the level of program you're pursuing. A mobile development associate degree typically takes 2 years to complete. A mobile development bachelor’s typically takes 4 years to finish. Earning your master’s in mobile development will take an additional 2 years as a full-time student. The duration for all of these degrees can be reduced by transferring in credits from previous college courses and work experience, or by attending more courses each semester.
- Deep dive into the mobile app developer career path.
- Browse mobile application development jobs.
- Compare salaries of mobile app developers.
- Discover the mobile developer education requirements.
- Best Jobs with a CS degree (#4 Mobile App Developer)
- Best Computer Jobs for the Future (#2 Mobile Developer)