CompTIA Linux+ Certification demonstrates competence as a Linux Administrator.
Linux continues to make huge inroads into mainstream IT infrastructures, proving itself to be an economical and practical solution for everyday business tasks. As more organizations adopt Linux, the demand for skilled and qualified Linux Administrators is on the rise. The CompTIA Linux+ certification is the preeminent credential validating vendor-neutral skills as a Linux Administrator.
CompTIA Linux+ certification covers the skills needed to install and support the Linux Operating System, including user administration, file permissions, software configurations and the fundamental management of Linux systems. Linux+ certified professionals can work at the Linux command line, perform day-to-day Linux maintenance tasks, effectively assist Linux users, and install and configure Linux workstations.
CompTIA Linux+ certification is often used as a stepping stone towards advanced vendor-specific Linux certificates, such as those from Oracle and Novell.
Skills Measured by Linux+ Certification
Here are some of the key skills covered by Linux+ certification curriculum. Linux+ certified technicians can:
- Install and configure the Linux Operating System.
- Execute common operations on the Linux command line.
- Create, configure, and manage Linux users and groups.
- Manage, maintain, and navigate the Linux File-system.
- Create, edit, locate, backup and restore files in Linux.
- Configure printers and remote printing functionality in Linux.
- Utilize basic SQL commands and scripts to manipulate data.
- Understand basic networking protocols and configurations.
- Perform security tasks, e.g., change passwords and encrypt data.
Download the CompTIA Linux+ Exam Objectives below for a complete curriculum.
You must pass one exam to become Linux+ certified:
- Linux+ Certification Exam (Exam # XK0-005) - View Exam Objectives
Linux+ Exam Format: Multiple choice and Performance-based
Linux+ Time Limit: 90 minutes
Exam Length: Maximum of 90 questions
Linux+ Exam Cost: $358 USD
Passing Score: 720 out of 900
- Required: No required prerequisites for Linux+ certification
- Recommended: CompTIA A+, Network+ and Server+ certifications plus 12+ months of Linux administration experience or equivalent knowledge
Linux+ Certification Training
Browse the top-rated college degree programs, professional certificates, and self-paced online courses matching the CompTIA Linux+ Certification and related career tracks.
Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity
- Includes Certification Preparation for:
- CompTIA A+, Network+ & Security+
- TestOut Network Pro, Security Pro & Pro PC
- Gain the Skills and Credentials to Pursue Jobs in Cyber Security and Network Management
- Information Security Tools and Techniques
- Design, Build & Manage Secure IT Networks
- Cyber Security Policy and Risk Management
- IT Service and Process Management
Bachelor of Science in Network Technology: Cisco
- Includes Certification Preparation for:
- CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Project+ & Linux+
- Cisco CCNA Routing and Switching
- Design & Manage Cisco Wired / Wireless Networks
- Network Security Threats & Countermeasures
- Install and Support Telecommunications Systems
- IT Project and Process Management Training
- Explore Hot IT Topics inc. RFID Architectures, Enterprise Mobility & Cloud Computing
Master's in Technology Management
- Prepare for Leadership Roles in Business and Information Technology
- Business Intelligence and Data Analytics
- Cyber Security Threats & Countermeasures
- Cloud Computing and Virtual Data Centers
- Globalization and the Modern IT Workforce
- Computer Systems Analysis Tools & Techniques
- Wield Emerging Technologies and IT Personnel to Achieve Business Goals
- No GRE or GMAT Required for Admission
CompTIA Linux+ Certification Jobs
Browse and apply to jobs related to CompTIA Linux+ Certification:
- Linux Administrator: Browse Linux Admin Jobs
- Red Hat Linux Admin: Browse Red Hat Linux Jobs
- Linux Systems Engineer: Browse Linux Engineer Jobs
- Help Desk Technician: Browse IT Help Desk Jobs
- Unix Administrator: Browse Unix Admin Jobs
Average salary for Linux+ certified professionals and other CompTIA certification holders:
- CompTIA A+: $59,000
- CompTIA Server+: $63,000
- CompTIA Network+: $63,000
- CompTIA Project+: $67,000
- CompTIA Linux+: $70,000
- CompTIA Security+: $72,000
- CompTIA CTT+: $74,000
- CompTIA Cloud+: $74,000
- CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP): $84,000
Linux+ Certification Cost
It costs $358 to take the CompTIA Linux+ certification exam.
If you need Linux+ certification training to prepare for the test, that will cost extra. Linux+ training fees range from cheap online courses like this Linux+ program from Pluralsight to more expensive online degrees that include CompTIA cert prep as part of a complete information technology curriculum.