Cyber attacks are rapidly increasing in number and complexity, driving unprecedented demand for skilled and certified cybersecurity professionals. Recognizing this demand, IBM introduced the Cybersecurity Analyst Professional Certificate – a rigorous training program designed to provide the skills needed to protect our digital space.
The IBM cybersecurity analyst certificate consists of 8 self-paced courses accessed via the online learning platform, Coursera. This expert-led program targets aspiring cybersecurity analysts and provides beginner through intermediate training in cybersecurity tools and techniques.
These top-rated online certificates and degrees in cybersecurity are currently enrolling students.
Top Cybersecurity Programs:
This article will provide an in-depth review of the IBM cybersecurity analyst professional certificate, including a breakdown of the syllabus, costs, benefits, careers and salaries you can earn upon certification. We’ll also highlight some of the best cybersecurity training programs and answer FAQs from prospective IBM certified cybersecurity analysts.
IBM Cybersecurity Analyst Certificate Overview
- Cost: 7-day free trial then $49 per month with a Coursera subscription.
- Format: Self-paced online. Lectures, readings, labs, and quizzes.
- Duration: 211 hours or about 6 months with 8 hours of weekly study.
- Skill level: Beginner. No cybersecurity experience is needed.
IBM Cybersecurity Analyst Pro Certificate Syllabus
IBM’s cybersecurity analyst certificate is divided into 8 courses, designed to be taken in sequential order. Here’s a look at the IBM cybersecurity analyst professional certificate syllabus along with some of the key subjects you’ll learn in each class.
The inaugural lesson in IBM’s cybersecurity analyst certificate delves into the evolution of cybersecurity, equipping students with knowledge on threats, foundational security concepts, and essential tools used in the field.
You will learn:
- Cybersecurity's historical evolution
- Various types of malicious software
- Concepts: CIA Triad, access management & incident response
- Tools: firewall, anti-virus, cryptography, pentesting & forensics
This course will explore the prevailing cybersecurity roles, outline core security processes with illustrative examples, and provide insight into the architecture and commands of major computer operating systems.
You will learn:
- Important career paths in cybersecurity
- Key cybersecurity processes with examples
- OS details: Windows, Mac/OS, Linux & Mobile
- Virtualization in the context of cybersecurity
This section of the IBM cybersecurity analyst pro certificate covers cybersecurity compliance standards, the fundamentals of server and user administration, and critical concepts in client system management and cryptography.
You will learn:
- Compliance standards: NIST, GDPR, HIPAA, SANS, PCI
- Design and functions of server and user administration
- Patching and endpoint protection in systems administration
- Cryptography: encoding, encryption, hashing & digital certificates
This portion of your IBM cybersecurity analyst training covers the fundamentals of network structures and operations, coupled with an in-depth look at critical database vulnerabilities.
You will learn:
- TCP/IP and OSI Model foundations
- Concepts: DNS, DHCP, Routing & Switching
- Topics in IP Addressing, NAT & Packet Sniffing
- Database vulnerabilities in SQL, Couch, Oracle & MongoDB
This part of the IBM cybersecurity analyst certificate syllabus includes coursework in advanced tools and techniques for penetration testing, incident response, digital forensics, and scripting.
You will learn:
- Penetration testing tools and their benefits
- Cyber incident response tools & techniques
- Digital forensics and cyber crime evidence
- Scripting and its importance for systems analysts
This cybersecurity course covers the key facets of cyber threat intelligence, with training in defensive network tactics, data protection measures, vulnerability scanning, application security threats, and the hands-on application of SIEM products.
You will learn:
- Examples of network defense tactics
- Data loss prevention & endpoint protection
- Security vulnerability scanning methods
- Application security threats & vulnerabilities
- Core concepts of cyber threat intelligence
- Security information & event management (SIEM)
In the capstone portion of the IBM cybersecurity analyst certificate, learners are immersed in real-world breach scenarios and tasked to apply skills from prior lessons to dissect, analyze and present findings on current cybersecurity incidents, culminating in a peer-reviewed project on a real-world breach.
You will learn:
- Apply incident response methodologies
- Understanding of a watering hole attack
- Ransomware threats and their consequences
- Organizational impacts of 3rd party breaches
- Effects and implications of a phishing attack
- Point of sale (PoS) attacks & data breach costs
- Cyber attack case study on a real-world breach
The final chapter of the IBM cybersecurity analyst professional certificate syllabus will assess the knowledge and skills you gained throughout the program, preparing you to pursue employment as a cybersecurity analyst.
The IBM cybersecurity assessment includes:
- Final quizzes for the 7 previous cybersecurity courses
- Demonstrate expertise in the cybersecurity fundamentals
- Earn the IBM Cybersecurity Analyst Professional Certificate
IBM Cybersecurity Analyst Pro Certificate Exams
Throughout this program, students will complete labs and assignments that relate to each lesson. The eighth and final course includes the IBM cybersecurity analyst professional certificate assessment quizzes, which will measure your combined skills from the first seven courses. The minimum passing score for the quizzes is 80%. Upon successful completion of the assessment exams, students will earn the IBM cybersecurity analyst professional certificate.
IBM Cybersecurity Analyst Professional Training
Including the official certificate from Coursera highlighted below, these online programs align with the syllabus of IBM’s cybersecurity analyst certificate and related career paths.
- Earn IBM's Cybersecurity Analyst Certificate
- Popular Cybersecurity Tools and Attacks
- Network and Database Security Training
- Penetration Testing & Cyber Forensics
- Network Design, Security & Management
- Detect and Prevent Network Breaches
- Cyber Incident Response & Investigation
- Prepare for In-Demand IT Certifications
- Identify and Manage Cybersecurity Risk
- Secure Network Design and Engineering
- Network Architecture & Cyber Operations
- NSA and DHS Approved Security Program
IBM Cybersecurity Analyst Certificate Salary
Earning the IBM cybersecurity analyst professional certificate can prepare you for a range of entry-level jobs in cybersecurity. Here are some popular roles you can pursue with this credential and the average salary for each position.
|Junior Cybersecurity Analyst||$68,000|
|Network Security Specialist||$96,000|
|Cyber Threat Analyst||$120,000|
This table represents the average pay for cybersecurity positions in the US. If you’re entering the field and just became a certified IBM cybersecurity analyst, your starting salary may come in below the national average which includes experienced cyber-sec professionals.
Source for salary data: Salary.com
IBM Cybersecurity Analyst Certificate Cost
Students can enroll in the IBM cybersecurity analyst certificate through a 7-day free trial on Coursera, followed by a $49 per month subscription charge. The average time to complete the IBM cybersecurity analyst program is 6 months, which equals a final cost of $294. This price can shift if you complete the program in a shorter or longer time period.
IBM Cybersecurity Analyst Certificate FAQs
Tech insiders answer frequently asked questions from IBM cybersecurity analyst professional certificate candidates.
The syllabus for the IBM cybersecurity analyst certificate includes coursework in multiple in-demand platforms, including Wireshark, IBM QRadar, Guardium, MaaS360, Resilient, i2 Enterprise Insight Analysis, and Python.
Yes, the American Council on Education (ACE) recommends 10 college credits for IBM cybersecurity analyst professional certificate holders. The breakdown of credits by subject is 4 credits in digital forensics and incident response, and 2 credits each in introduction to cybersecurity, basics of networking, and advanced computer concepts.
Students who complete the IBM certified cybersecurity analyst professional certificate can qualify for numerous roles, including junior cybersecurity analyst, cybersecurity analyst, penetration tester, and network security specialist.
Yes, with an in-depth curriculum led by active practitioners from IBM, a low entry cost, and flexible online course structure, IBM’s cybersecurity analyst certificate is a worthwhile investment for aspiring cybersecurity pros.
Is the IBM cybersecurity analyst certificate free?
The IBM cybersecurity analyst professional certificate costs $49 per month via subscription on Coursera, however you can begin with a 7-day free trial by clicking here. The average time to complete IBM's cybersecurity certificate is 5 months, which would come out to a price of $245.