PMP Certification is the preeminent credential for Project Managers.
Project Management Professional (PMP) certification demonstrates the knowledge and experience to bring business and IT projects to successful completion. PMP certified professionals have the project management and managerial skills to complete projects on time, within scope and under budget.
The Project Management Institute (PMI) sets forth strict eligibility requirements before you can take the PMP exam - see the current PMP eligibility requirements below. Beyond the required education and experience, Project Management Professionals pledge adherence to a code of professional conduct, and periodically satisfy continuing education requirements to keep their PMP certificate active.
PMP certification is widely recognized as the pinnacle of project management credentials by businesses and government agencies worldwide, across all industries. Several Fortune 500 companies require their PMs, managers and IT leads to be PMP certified. PMP certification is a true differentiator; project managers without a PMP are at a competitive disadvantage.
If you’re an experienced project manager looking to solidify your skills, stand out to employers and maximize your earning potential, PMP certification is the credential for you.
PMP Certification Exams
PMP Certification Eligibility
PMP Certification Training
PMP Certification Jobs
PMP Certification Salary
Related Career Paths
Skills Measured by PMP Certification
Here are some of the key skills and knowledge areas covered in the PMP certification exam. Project Management Professionals can:
- Lead and direct cross-functional teams to successfully deliver complex projects.
- Complete projects within the constraints of schedule, budget and scope.
- Understand advanced project management concepts and processes.
- Apply PM methodologies and best practices to complete projects.
- Adhere to a rigid code of ethics and professional conduct.
PMP Certification Exams
Candidates must pass one exam to become PMP certified:
- PMI PMP Certification Exam (PMBOK 4th Edition)
PMP Exam Time Limit: 4 hours
Exam Length: 200 questions
Passing Score: 137 correct answers (68.5%)
PMP Exam Cost: $405 USD for PMI Members | $555 USD for Non-Members
Test Format: Computer-based; Multiple choice questions with four possible answers (A through D); PMP testers get their score plus a detailed performance report immediately upon exam completion.
Breakdown of PMP Certification Exam by project management domain:
|Project Management Domain||Approximate % of PMP Exam Questions|
|Monitoring and Controlling||25%|
PMP Certification Eligibility Requirements
You must meet one of the following prerequisite sets to sit for the PMP certification exam. PMP candidate prerequisites are checked at random by existing Project Management Professionals.
- A four-year degree (bachelor’s or international equivalent) plus 3 or more years of project management experience, with 4500 hours leading and directing projects, and 35 hours of PMI-approved project management education
- A secondary diploma (high school or international equivalent) with at least 5 years of project management experience, with 7500 hours leading and directing projects, and 35 hours of PMI-approved project management education
If you do not meet the PMP eligibility requirements, you still may qualify for PMI's associate-level project management credential - the Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM) - a powerful credential in its own right and a great place to launch your PM career.
The project management degree programs below can help you satisfy the PMP eligibility requirements and prepare for the PMP certification exam.
PMP Training Programs, Degrees & Certificates
Find Project Management Schools
PMP Certified Jobs
PMP training and certification qualifies you for a variety of lucrative job roles including:
- PMP Certified Project Manager: Browse PMP Jobs
- IT Project Manager: Browse IT Project Manager Jobs
- Project Manager: Browse Project Management Jobs
- Sr. Project Manager: Browse Senior PM Jobs
- Technology Manager: Browse IT Management Jobs
- Process Manager: Browse Process Management Jobs
- More PMI Certification Jobs: Browse PMI Jobs
PMP Certification Salary
Average salary for PMP certified professionals and related project-focused certification holders:
- PMI CAPM: Certified Associate of Project Management: $65,000
- CompTIA Project+ salary: $67,000
- PRINCE2 Certified Project Manager: $96,000
- PMI-SP: Scheduling Professional: $99,000
- CSM: Certified ScrumMaster: $103,000
- PMI PMP: Project Management Professional: $104,000
- PMI-ACP: Agile Certified Practitioner: $108,000
- PMI-RMP: Risk Management Professional: $119,000
- PMI PgMP: Program Management Professional: $121,000
Annual wage by project management certification.
Source: 2019 IT Salary Guide by Robert Half Technology