PMP Certification is the preeminent credential for project managers.
Project Management Professional (PMP) certification validates the knowledge and experience to bring IT and business projects to successful completion. PMP certified pros have the project management and managerial skills to complete projects on time, within scope and under budget.
The Project Management Institute (PMI) sets forth strict eligibility requirements before you can take the PMP exam - see the current PMP eligibility requirements below. Beyond the required education and experience, Project Management Professionals pledge adherence to a code of professional conduct, and periodically satisfy continuing education requirements to keep their PMP certificate active.
PMP certification is widely recognized as the pinnacle of project management credentials by businesses and government agencies worldwide, across all industries. Several Fortune 500 companies require their PMs, managers and tech leads to be PMP certified. PMP certification is a true differentiator and project managers without this cert can find themselves at a competitive disadvantage.
If you’re an experienced project manager looking to solidify your skills, stand out to employers and maximize earning potential, read on to learn more about PMP certification.
PMP Certification Exams
PMP Certification Eligibility
PMP Certification Training
PMP Certification Jobs
PMP Certification Salary
Related Career Paths
Skills Measured by PMP Certification
Here are some of the key skills and knowledge areas covered in the PMP certification exam. Project Management Professionals can:
- Lead and direct cross-functional teams to successfully deliver complex projects.
- Complete projects within the constraints of schedule, budget and scope.
- Understand advanced project management concepts and processes.
- Apply PM methodologies and best practices to complete projects.
- Adhere to a rigid code of ethics and professional conduct.
PMP Certification Exams
Candidates must pass one exam to become PMP certified:
- PMI PMP Certification Exam (PMBOK 6th Edition)
PMP Time Limit: 230 minutes
PMP Exam Length: 180 questions
PMP Passing Score: Approximately 70% correct (PMI no longer discloses the exact passing percentage)
PMP Exam Cost: $405 for PMI Members | $555 for Non-Members
PMP Test Format: Computer-based; Multiple choice questions with the possibility of multiple correct answers, a limited amount of fill-in-the-blank, and matching exercises
Breakdown of the PMP certification exam by high-level project management domain:
|Project Management Domain||Percentage of PMP Exam Questions|
View this exam outline from PMI for a more in-depth breakdown of the PMP certification knowledge domains.
PMP Certification Eligibility Requirements
You must meet ONE of the following prerequisite SETS to sit for the PMP certification exam. PMP candidate qualifications are checked at random by existing Project Management Professionals.
- A four-year degree (bachelor’s or international equivalent) - AND - 3 or more years of project management experience - AND - 35 hours of PMI-approved project management education
- A high school diploma or associate degree (or international equivalent) - AND - at least 5 years of project management experience - AND - 35 hours of PMI-approved project management education or PMI CAPM certification
If you do not meet the PMP eligibility requirements, you still may qualify for PMI's associate-level project management credential - the Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM) - a powerful credential in its own right and a solid place to launch your PM career.
The project management degree programs below can help you satisfy the PMP eligibility requirements and prepare for the PMP certification exam.
PMP Training Programs, Degrees & Certificates
Project Management Undergraduate Degrees
Online bachelor's programs and undergraduate certificates featuring coursework in project management and PMP certification prep:
Project Management Graduate Degrees
Online master's degrees and graduate certificates featuring coursework in project management and PMP certification prep:
PMP Certified Jobs
PMP training and certification qualifies you for a variety of lucrative job roles including:
- PMP Certified Project Manager: Browse PMP Jobs
- IT Project Manager: Browse IT Project Manager Jobs
- Project Manager: Browse Project Management Jobs
- Sr. Project Manager: Browse Senior PM Jobs
- Technology Manager: Browse IT Management Jobs
- Process Manager: Browse Process Management Jobs
- More PMI Certification Jobs: Browse PMI Jobs
PMP Certification Salary
Average salary for PMP certified professionals and related project-focused certification holders:
- PMI CAPM: Certified Associate of Project Management: $67,000
- CompTIA Project+ salary: $69,000
- CSM: Certified ScrumMaster: $91,000
- PRINCE2 Certified Project Manager: $98,000
- PMI-SP: Scheduling Professional: $103,000
- PMI PMP: Project Management Professional: $107,000
- PMI-ACP: Agile Certified Practitioner: $109,000
- PMI-RMP: Risk Management Professional: $118,000
- PMI PgMP: Program Management Professional: $121,000
Annual wage by project management certification.