CompTIA's Healthcare IT Technician certificate was retired February 28, 2017, and will not be renewed or replaced. Although it has been retired, anyone who has earned this certification will remain certified for life.
The CompTIA Healthcare IT Technician Certificate demonstrates the skills to deploy, configure, support and secure Health IT Systems in a Clinical Setting.
The Healthcare IT Technician certificate is a new credential for IT professionals entering the fast growing field of Health Information Technology (HIT). CompTIA's Healthcare IT Technician certificate validates a fundamental grasp of healthcare regulatory requirements, healthcare and IT terminology, computer hardware & software, network topologies, and how to best apply these skills and knowledge in a modern medical practice. The Healthcare IT Technician certification exam also covers HIPPA compliance issues, code of conduct policies and best practices for storing, securing and backing up mission-critical data.
These top-rated online courses and degrees in health information technology are currently enrolling students.
Southern New Hampshire University
- CAHIIM-Accredited Bachelor's Program
- Health Information Technology Essentials
- Medical Coding and Classifications
- Prepare for RHIA Certification Exam
- Healthcare IT Support Pro Training
- Electronic Health Record Management
- IT in Patient Safety and Operations
- Data Security, Privacy & Compliance
Now is an ideal time to become a Healthcare IT Technician; the U.S. Dept. of Labor forecasts that the healthcare IT job market will grow by 21% through 2020, making health care the fastest growing service sector for new IT jobs.
Earning your CompTIA Healthcare IT Technician certificate is a distinctive step toward a career in healthcare information technology. Colleges, universities and private computer schools offer a range of healthcare IT training programs, as well as accredited degrees and certificates that align with the Healthcare IT Technician credential. Compare the top-rated healthcare IT training programs in the U.S. and online below.
Exam HIT-001 Details
Training and Degree Programs
Healthcare IT Jobs
Related Career Paths
Skills Measured by Healthcare IT Technician Certificate
Key skills and knowledge areas covered by this exam include the following. CompTIA Healthcare IT Technicians can:
- Understand health care agency types, laws and regulations.
- Explain and classify HIPAA controls and compliance issues.
- Summarize the rules of record retention, disposal and archiving.
- Apply proper communication methods, e.g., email or VOIP, in clinical offices.
- Identify and define commonly used IT terms and computer technologies.
- Install, deploy and configure basic computer networks & mobile devices.
- Deploy and configure hardware drivers and devices, e.g., badge scanners and cameras.
- Identify common health care organizational structures and methods of operation.
- Comprehend commonly used medical terms and devices in a range of health care settings.
- Identify and label different components of HL7, e-prescribing & billing interfaces.
- Determine medical interface problems, provide support and escalate issues when necessary.
- Understand remote access methods, wireless security protocols & patient data best practices.
- Implement health record data backup procedures based on the latest disaster recovery policies.
- Identify and test for common information security risks, such as spyware or phishing, and implement the appropriate prevention techniques and countermeasures.
Download the CompTIA Healthcare IT Technician Exam Objectives for the complete curriculum.
Healthcare IT Technician Exams
Candidates must pass one exam to earn the CompTIA Healthcare IT Technician certificate:
- CompTIA Healthcare IT Technician Certificate (exam code HIT-001)
|CompTIA Healthcare IT Technician Certificate Exam Objectives | HIT-001|
Exam Format: Computer based, Multiple-choice questions
Time Limit: 60 minutes
Exam Length: 75 questions
Voucher Cost: $102 USD
Passing Score: 650 out of 900
CompTIA Healthcare IT Technician Prerequisites
- Required: There are no mandatory prerequisites for the Healthcare IT Technician certificate exam.
- Recommended: A+ Certification or 500 hours of hands-on IT experience, or equivalent training
Healthcare IT Technician Training
Browse the top-rated accredited degrees, professional certificates and self-paced online courses matching the CompTIA Healthcare IT Technician Certificate and related career paths.
Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management
- Includes Certification Preparation for:
- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA)
- Apply health information best practices to manage clinical data sets
- Analyze health stats and biomedical research data to boost performance
- Apply medical laws and ethics to decision-making in healthcare systems
- Manage computer software and hardware to ensure effective data analysis
- Wield leadership tools and principles to achieve organizational goals
Master of Health Administration in Health Care Informatics
- Study the Latest Health Information Systems and Applications
- Health Care Information Systems Analysis and Design
- Lead and Manage the use of Health Care Technologies
- Strategy and Decision Making in Medical Environments
- Bachelor's Required. No GRE or GMAT Exams Required.
Healthcare IT Technician Certificate Jobs
Your CompTIA Healthcare IT Technician certificate, experience and education prepare you for a range of job roles:
- Health Information Technician Jobs: Browse Health IT Jobs
- Health Information Management Jobs: Browse HIM Jobs
- Help Desk Technician: Browse Help Desk Technician Jobs
- IT Support Specialist: Browse IT Support Specialist Jobs
- CompTIA A+ Certification
- CompTIA Network+ Certification
- CompTIA Security+ Certification
- Cisco CCNA Certification