Driven by aggressive legislation and financial incentives for health care practices to implement standardized electronic medical records (EMR), the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects 22% growth in health IT employment through 2022, placing health information management (HIM) among the nation's fastest growing occupations.
The most important thing to look for in a health information management degree is CAHIIM-accreditation. CAHIIM - the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education - guarantees that an accredited program delivers the skills, education and job marketability necessary to succeed in health IT. Furthermore, graduates of CAHIIM-accredited degree programs qualify for the red-hot health information management credentials from AHIMA, such as the Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) certificate.
CAHIIM accredited health information management programs:
Health IT Bachelor's Degrees
Health IT Master's Degrees
Search Health IT Programs by City
More Health Care IT Resources
CAHIIM Accredited Associate Degrees
Entry-level positions in health information management typically require an associate degree in a health information technology discipline. Completing a CAHIIM-accredited associates program is also the minimum eligibility requirement for AHIMA's sought-after Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) certification.
Associate Degree in Health Information Technology
DeVry University's Associate in Health IT follows a career-focused curriculum based on current entry-level competencies outlined by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). Students in this CAHIIM-accredited program will become Registered Health Information Technicians, enjoy 24/7 access to cutting-edge coding and chart management software, and gain accredited experience through two hands-on practicum.
- Health Insurance & Reimbursement Training (Forms, Processes, Practices, etc.)
- Learn ICD-10-CM System (or current version) to Code Diagnoses & Procedures
- Based on Entry-Level Health IT Skills and Best Practices as Outlined by AHIMA
- Health Care Terminology, inc. Anatomy, Diseases, Procedures and Medications
- Current Health Services, Health Information Systems & Key·Regulatory Issues
- Attend DeVry's HIT Program 100% Online or Mix & Match with On-Site Classes
- Easy Upgrade Path to Technical Management Bachelor's with HIM Specialization
- Meets Eligibility Requirement for AHIMA Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) Certification
Learning Method:On-Campus, Online or Blended Learning
Financial Aid Available:Federal, State, Military & Scholarships
CAHIIM Accredited Bachelor Degrees
CAHIIM-accredited bachelor degrees in health information management, health IT, and health informatics surpass the minimum education requirements for entry-level healthcare IT jobs. Health Information Technology Bachelor Degrees typically include coursework and labs in healthcare administration, healthcare finance, and leadership skills to prep you for the job responsibilities and credentials needed to attain a lucrative management position in HIM. A CAHIIM-accredited bachelor degree is also the minimum eligibility requirement for AHIMA's Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) certification - the next step up from the Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT).
Online Bachelor Degree in Health Informatics
WGU's online health informatics bachelor degree provides a tremendous competitive advantage. The B.S. in Health Informatics from Western Governors University combines concepts in healthcare, information technology, and team leadership to provide you with the knowledge and skills you need to be a talented designer, developer, and manager of health information systems. You’ll become a valuable asset in the high-demand field of health informatics and health information management.
- Includes Certification Prep & Exams for:
- AHIMA Certified Coding Associate (CCA)
- CompTIA A+ and Project+ Certifications
- MTA Database Administration Fundamentals
- CIW Web Foundations Associate
- Cutting-Edge Online Learning Program that Adapts to Your Schedule
- Health Care Information Statistics and Research Methodologies
- Courses in Health Information Systems Design and Management
- Quality Improvement and Performance Management Training
- Healthcare Technology Legal and Ethical Considerations
- Biomedical Sciences including Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Health Finance Management and Reimbursement Methodologies
- IT Lessons in Database, Project Management & Web Technologies
- Organizational Behavior and Leadership & Principles of Management
- Meets Eligibility Requirements for AHIMA Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) Certification
Learning Method:Online Degree
Financial Aid Available:Federal, State, Military and Scholarships
CAHIIM Accredited Masters Degrees
Graduates from one of the few existing CAHIIM-accredited master degrees in health information management, healthcare IT and health informatics are the senior executives and innovators of healthcare IT. Talented HIM graduate degree-holders can experience the excitement - and reap the rewards - of being a thought-leader in the young and fast-growing field of healthcare information management.
Online Master Degree in Health Informatics
The online Master of Science in Health Informatics at the University of Illinois at Chicago delivers an advanced education designed to help you affect change and bring innovation to the health information management domain from a position of leadership. Built on the MBA/Business School model, UIC's CAHIIM-accredited Health Informatics program is based in real world experience and practical skill application. Gain the knowledge you’ll need to improve access to health data, define new standards in health information technology, and advance the overall delivery of quality patient care around the world.
- Advanced Training in Health Care Communication Systems Management
- Relevant Theories of Interpersonal, Organizational, and Mass Communication
- Leadership Development Unique to the Health Informatics Profession
- Health Care Information Security, Risk Assessment & Pre-Emptive Actions
- Learn how to Successfully Manage Health Care IT Vendors & Suppliers
- Study Vital Social and Organizational Issues in Health Informatics
- UOI is Renowned as a Leader in Online Health Informatics Education
- Flexible Online Learning Program You can Complete in 45 Credit Hours
- Financial Aid and Study Grants Available to Qualifying Students
Learning Method:Online Degree
Financial Aid Available:Federal, State, Military, Private Loans & Scholarships
Find Health IT Schools
Health Information Manager Resources
- Deep dive into the health information technician career path
- Browse and apply to fresh health information technician jobs
- Compare salaries of health information technicians & related positions
- Research health information technician formal education requirements
- Read and contribute to the health IT glossary of terms and acronyms
- Blog: Best Computer Jobs for the Future (#9 Health Information Tech)